Trouble building python modules under Solaris 8(SPARC)

Brian Reynolds reynolds at panix.com
Fri Dec 7 10:03:15 EST 2001

I'm having trouble building both PIL and SciPy.  I'm running Solaris
8(SPARC) on a SunBlade 100.  I'm using gcc 2.95.3 as the compiler
using the Sun linker and assembler.  I get errors similar to the
following (taken from the SciPy build):

[lots of similar lines snipped]
<unknown>                           0x5ac       /usr/local/lib/librfftw.a(fcr_32.o)
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like the compiler is trying to make a relocatable object out
of a static library (fftw in this case).

Any hints on how to get this to work?

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "Dee Dee!  Don't touch that button!"
reynolds at panix.com              | "Oooh!"