[Visualpython-users] New Windows VPython

Bruce Sherwood bas at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 24 19:25:26 EST 2001

You've jumped the gun, but your input is useful nevertheless.

The new Windows version of VPyhon available at vpython.org does NOT
automatically invoke the new division operators. What it does is PERMIT but
not require users of VPython to put "from __future__ import division" in
their programs and have things work correctly, even if they use explicit
Numeric arrays (as for example is the case in some VPython demo programs).
So there still is no "VPython fork".

It is true however that I have been thinking quite seriously of making just
such a version of VPython, possibly only a local version just for our
physics students. In the absence of "true division" they make "mistakes"
that are very hard to find and fix. If we do make such a version, we'll
offer it to others along with a version that doesn't invoke this
automatically. Alternatively, we'll just teach our students to insert the
import __future__ statement to avoid the problems they have been
encountering. This problem stands out in high relief for us because it is
very nearly the only significant problem they have with Python. (For
example, our students don't have any problems whatsoever with case
sensitivity, the other problem that was reported for some novice programmer
populations.)

I hope this clarifies for you the VPython situation. What I fixed makes it
possible to use true division with Numeric, not force you to do so.

This said, I should also however point out that while the serious
difficulties students had with classic division in both the Alice and
VPython projects got Guido and others thinking about the issue, it is my
understanding that these projects were NOT ultimately the basis for
implementing a path toward a different approach to division. Rather, Guido
and colleagues came to a new vision of the status of numeric values in
Python, and a way to unify different kinds of integer in such a way that it
shouldn't matter whether a quantity happens to be an integer or a float.

Bruce Sherwood

--On Monday, December 24, 2001 18:17 -0500 Arthur Siegel