urllib checks IE settings for proxy but ignores useful 'ProxyOverride' key

Andy Bulka abulka at netspace.net.au
Tue Dec 25 23:45:24 EST 2001

It seems that urllib.py has the smarts to look up the proxy settings
in the windows registry settings that you control via the IE browser.
It checks the keys 'ProxyEnable' and 'ProxyServer' (to get the actual
proxy host/port value).

But urllib.py does NOT have the smarts to check the key
'ProxyOverride' which has a range of tcp ip addresses to NOT use
proxies on, as well as whether to bypass proxies for local addresses
(the value of the key 'ProxyOverride' contains '<local>' if this
option is turned on).

Surely this is an important omission and should be introduced into the
next version of python?

-Andy Bulka
WindowWare Multimedia
www.atug.com/andypatterns