lost interest?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Dec 12 15:20:16 EST 2001

    Mats> For those things that are available as a distutils setup,
    Mats> installation is easy enough - it solves most of the problems.

One thing I prefer about CPAN over distutils is the way it builds things.
Instead of trying to be a completely self-contained tool, it generates a
Makefile (on Unix-like systems at least) and invokes make.  I presume in the
Windows world it generates something compatible with that environment.
Distutils doesn't check dependencies properly.  It's not a major concern
when simply building and installing some package once, but if the
environment the package lives in changes, distutils may not rebuild
everything it needs to.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)