python and SOAP??

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 16 09:41:13 EST 2001

claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:

> Unicode's the sticking point.  Again, I under-
> stand that, in principle, CORBA does a good job
> of transporting any kind of data (is this a
> good point, by the way, for a gratuitous snipe
> at SOAP's performance?).  On a practical level,
> though, multi-byte codesets have not been a
> focus for most CORBA implementations, and I be-
> lieve the majority still only support
> single-byte for (IDL) "string".  True?

I'd say "not true". It will be difficult to find a Java ORB that does
not support CORBA wstring (even though character set negotiation will
be an issue). Likewise, many C++ ORBs that are still maintained
support string.

OTOH, a cursory inspection of XML RPC things (specifically XML-RPC,
but potentially also SOAP implementations) show a surprising ignorance
of the Unicode aspects of XML. Again, in Java, the world is probably
nice and beautiful, but ... how many C++ SOAP implementations do you
know that support Unicode?

> The one question I have about this is whether
> I'm being unfair to (IDL) "wstring".  I'm in-
> experienced with CORBA; my impression, though,
> is that wstring isn't the solution one wants.

Why do you think that? Merely because you consider it unimplemented
(which is true for a number of ORBs, indeed)? Or do you have other
concerns as well?

Regards,
Martin