pep proposal : A date object for the standard library

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Dec 6 19:36:15 EST 2001

Chris Barker wrote:

> I would
> argue that applications that deal with nanoseconds are of a different
> breed than those that deal with day, month, year type calculations.

I'm not sure that's true. Consider something like generating
timestamps for transactions. They need to be unique over
a long time, and need quite fine-grained accuracy as well,
certainly much less than a second. Even microseconds might
be too coarse -- today's processors can do a LOT of
computation in a microsecond!

I suggest femtoseconds. It's the smallest time unit I've
heard anyone talk about. If you need something smaller
you're probably a bleeding-edge particle physicist with
more things to worry about than finding a time module...

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg