Unsung Python modules

Justin Sheehy justin at iago.org
Fri Dec 14 14:13:15 EST 2001

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I agree on the readline module (don't have a lot of need to text file
> processing that sys.stdin.readlines() won't handle).  It seems like I've
> travelled back to the dark ages whenever I have to use Python without
> readline or a "real" Bourne shell.  Being able to recall a line or two from
> an interactive session from a few minutes before (or a few days before)
> makes day-to-day interaction with these tools so much easier.

One reason that a lot of people might not think of this is that it's
not needed if you're using Python's interactive mode in an emacs
inferior shell buffer alongside Python-mode.  Emacs takes care of the
history for you, regardless of readline.  (Being able to send
arbitrary sections of code from the editor into the interactive
interpreter is also very important to me.)

I like this behavior so much that I will often use Emacs and
python-mode even when all I wanted was some interactive experimentation.

"Scherer, Bill" <Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com> writes:

> Queue is so handy for many tasks when multithreaded.

Seconded.  I use Queue very heavily in many different systems.

-Justin