Win32Service and Service Manager

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Dec 21 01:41:12 EST 2001

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> writes:

> I'm mystified how you can even create a service that doesn't show up
> here and yet still responds to NET STOP and START commands.

As far as I know you can't.  Dumb question though - the snap-in should
be sorting and displaying the full display name, so could you be
looking for the short name instead?

Or perhaps you could also use the 'sc' utility from the resource kit
or something like psservice from sysinternals to lookup information
based on the same name you are using with the "net" command and see if
anything is strange in the display name.  (You can also just do the
same queries from Python code calling the service functions).

Or, any service should be defined in a key (by short name) in the
registry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services, so you might
poke around there to locate your entry and see if anything looks amiss
with its display name.  Maybe there's some strange character or
something in there that is affecting its display in the MMC.

--
-- David