PHP vs. Python/comp.lang.php?

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 1 12:10:33 EST 2001

Kragen Sitaker <kragen at pobox.com> wrote:
>ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu (Suchandra Thapa) writes:
>> I was commenting on the standard python distribution in reference to
>> the original comment about php forcing you to mix html and code.  In
>> both php and python the standard distribution doesn't have
>> templating features, however it is fairly easy to get a module that
>> implements it or to create one yourself.
>
>"%s" % foo in Python is a templating feature.  In PHP the whole
>language is a templating feature.  What am I missing?

    By templating features, I was refering to a way to separate the html
and code into separate files, one for the html with tags indicating where
to substitute values and one for the code.  This is primarily so that
the web designers/graphic artists can fiddle around with the look and feel
without having to know php or python.  Likewise, the developers can write
the code without having to worry about the appearance.

Suchandra Thapa                       | "There are only two kinds of math .
s-thapa-11 at NOSPAMalumni.uchicago.edu  | books. Those you cannot read beyond