vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?

maxm maxm at mxm.dk
Fri Dec 21 17:25:32 EST 2001

I am a long-time Windows developer who is trying to migrate to Linux for
several reasons. But this doesn't come naturally to me :-) And some of the
things about Linux I really like, others are a pain. Likewise with windows.
But all in all I want to gradually switch.

One of my biggest problems in switching is my editor. On windows I use
Ultraedit as a general editor, and i type really fast in it. Knowing the
shortcuts and all. Every time I boot up one of my Linux machines I have a
hard time editing files under the arcane unix editors. I have tried both
emacs and vim and I disklike both!

I guess it's because I have strong habbits by now, and not because the
editors are bad.

But my point is that I figure that I have to use either editor if I want to
switch platform. So before I commit myself to spending the days learning one
of them thorougly (and swallow the loss in income ;-) ) I would like to know
the strong/weak point in using either for Python.

I know this is close to religion. But are there any rational reasons to use
one instead of the other for Python?

My understanding is that for emacs I have to use a lisp dialect to
automate/extend it, and in vim I can use Python as an extension language of
sort. Do I understand that correctly?

I would especially like to use my next editor on my notebook with as little
use of the mouse as possible.

Regards Max M