Let's make Python really strict about indentation

Syver Enstad syver-en+usenet at online.no
Sun Dec 2 16:23:25 EST 2001

Andrew Koenig <ark at research.att.com> writes:

> I am concerned about the possibility of the compiler rejecting
> programs because of default editor behavior of which beginning
> programmers cannot reasonably be expected to be aware.

I got very confused a couple of times when starting programming python
because of this. I changed my editor since then, so now it's okay, but
it's a bit disturbing that code can look as if code is scoped one way in
an editor when it's really scoped differently. It is like having
C++ code that looked like this in one editor:

if (something) {
    doStuff();
    doStuff2();
}

and like this in another
if (something)
   doStuff();
   doStuff2();

Compile errors if there are tabs in a file would be fine by me, but I
suspect some people would be upset.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad