Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 04:12:37 EST 2001

In article <akol0ukjql894asojpsa3jl5p4scvkvv3h at 4ax.com>, Courageous
<jkraska at san.rr.com> writes

>>well I'm +1 on use of tabs. It's much better when the response time is
>>long eg across the Atlantic or a heavily loaded server.
>
>If you're noticing a difference with small things like text files,
>I highly suggest you use a compressing transport protocol.
>
>C//

unfortunately compression has no effect on the response time. In fact to
get compression to work I have to wait for at least some characters to
fill a buffer. God knows what it would do to multi-character sequences
which are often detected by timing.

As often the seriously under experienced are shouting the loudest.
--
Robin Becker