Distutils bdist_rpm missing licence option?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Dec 2 20:27:01 EST 2001

I'm using Distutils-1.0.2 with Python-1.5.2.  I'm trying to build an RPM
for PyUnit.  Here's my .cfg file

# pyunit Distutils configuration file
[bdist_rpm]
licence = Python License
long_description = This package contains PyUnit, a unit testing framework \
        for Python. PyUnit is a standard library in Python 2.1, but it needs \
        to be installed separately for Python 1.5.2.
release = 1
vendor = Ecoaccess.org
packager = Tom Bryan <tbryan at python.net>

The licence option is listed in the Distutils documentation, but I'm
getting the following error.  Search for licence on
http://www.python.org/doc/current/dist/creating-wininst.html

$ python1.5 setup.py bdist_rpm --spec-only
running bdist_rpm
error: error in setup.cfg: command 'bdist_rpm' has no such option 'licence'

Indeed, bdist_rpm.py's user_options list seems to be missing licence. I
could get Distutils to stop complaining by editing bdist_rpm.py, but I
couldn't get it to initialize the variable:  it still outputs a .spec file
with a "Copyright: UNKOWN" line.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I submit a bug to the Python project
at SourceForge?  I already searched the bugs, and this one isn't reported.
 I can't believe that I'm the first one to use Distutils to build an RPM
and notice that the licence (and long_description) options don't work.

---Tom