REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 28 20:09:13 EST 2001

Hmm, it is absolutely amazing how fast PHP got so popular, isn't it? PHP has quite a few more
SourceForge projects than Python, as many as Perl in fact (about 2700 I believe, compared to
Python's 1300). Also, there are more PHP books in most book stores than Python books.

Does anyone know how old PHP is? I'd really like to know. I have not been aware of PHP for much
more than two years, but then I wasn't paying any attention before that. When was PHP "launched"?

How did it grow so fast? Can the Python community learn anything from this phenomenon? Can we even
incorporate some of the good points from PHP for web programming into Python, or Python add-on
"products"?

Ron Stephens
http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: