lost interest?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Dec 11 12:11:25 EST 2001

"Skip Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message
>     * Perl's third-party modules tend to rely heavily on other third-party
>       modules for their proper functioning, so CPAN's ability to register
>       and handle inter-module dependencies is important.
> CPAN is marvelous.  The way the Perl and Python communities operate, it
> fills a niche perfectly in the Perl world, but I think would be a bit of a
> solution looking for a problem in the Python world.

If it encourages more reuse of code in module A by the author of module B,
I think it would be a VERY good influence "in the Python world".  Why
*shouldn't* the useful 3rd-party modules we use be free to rely on other
useful 3rd-party modules yet?!

Since switching my Linuxing to Mandrake I've grown SO fond of
urpmi's automatic resolution of dependencies (Debian's apt-get
works at least as well, I hear) that I can't believe we'd WANT
to be without it for Python...!

Alex