A modest indentation proposal

Erann Gat gat at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 1 12:53:07 EST 2001

In article <kx0O7.274058$5A3.106661929 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com>, "Terry
Reedy" <tjreedy at home.com> wrote:

> Why is ';\n' better for that than '\n<backspace>'?

Because it isn't really '\n<backspace>', it's
'\n<however-many-spaces-you-need-in-the-current-context>'.  You can type
that as '\n<backspace>' in a good editor, but you can also easily "delete
the backspace" for example by hitting the tab key.  What I'm looking for
is information in the character stream that is redundant with the
indentation to provide an indication when this has happened.  That
redundant information is already there for the beginnings of blocks
(trailing colons), I just want it at the end as well.

E.