REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 27 17:15:04 EST 2001

I just think that it is difficult for for-profit corporations to justify hiring
and keeping highly paid developers to work on Python development. Granted
Python was originally and primarily developed by open source volunteers, as are
most such languages. But it is sure nice having the support of Digital
Creations, ActiveState, etc. I am not "knocking" ActiveState, really I can
understand their dilemna. How do they generate enough revenues with a Python
development team to pay for itself and make a profit? Not easy, I fear; and the
economy, which is definitely slowing, sure doesn't help.

I hope Digital Creations can make money on Zope, the more the better. I urge us
all to support Zope in any way we can (and for that matter, to support any
ActiveState Python products we can, and Secret Labs, PythonWare, etc. etc. etc.

Python will do better if it has commercial support, in addition to open source
volunteers. Of course we need the open source community; without Guido and the
rest of the community, there would be no Python. But enthusiastically support
any commercial enterprise that supports Python, I say.

I especially hope that Zope can be a big money maker for Digital Creations. But
I suspect that it is a tough business model they have. I think we should be
grateful to them for supporting Python so vigorously and in such important
ways.

I recently read an interview with a Digital Creations top manager where he said
that he hopes someone starts a successful business based solely on providing
ISP services using Zope, with full technical support. Is anyone looking into
this? Does anyone think this could be a successful business model? I am
interested in opinions on this.

Ron Stephens
http://www.awaretek.com/plf.html

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: