Why is Complex number notation the way it is?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 11:59:13 EST 2001

Delaney, Timothy wrote:

> Because there are two representations for complex numbers, depending on
> whether you're a mathematician or a physicist. Mathematicians use 'i',
> physicists (and engineers I think) use 'j'.

just being nitpicky here. I think the 'j' convention is more one coming from
the electrical engineers, who use what they call 'phasors' (if my memory
doesn't fail me) to quickly analyze phase relations in signals  using basic
complex algebra. In every physics book I've been through in my life, 'i' is
the imaginary unit.

> 'j' is more easily distinguished from the surrounding characters (such a
> '1') because it dips below the baseline.

I do think that for computing purposes, 'j' is probably a better choice, less
likely to be confused on screen with a 1 (especially in certain fonts).

cheers,