strict python?

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 17:21:46 EST 2001

Brian Sturk wrote:

> I've been following this thread since I started it and now I
> understand why it is legal etc, but I still wish that it could, even
> if optionally,
> be flagged as a warning.  I imagine that 8 times out of 10 it was
> unintentional.  However, I am new to python so maybe this is more
> common than I think

This is why I think a -w<n> flag would be great. Something with
levels of 'paranoidness' (is that a word?).

> I've downloaded PyChecker and hope to try it soon.

Basically pychecker can do a lot of what my hypothetical -w<n> flag
would, but I still think that kind of language control belongs
inside, not as an add-on. As I said before, perl's -w and 'use
strict' are some of the *very few* things I actually miss from good
ole'executable line noise.

Cheers,

f.