pep proposal : A date object for the standard library

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Dec 10 00:02:14 EST 2001

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Most
> of the items on my to do list, if they have a deadline associated with
> them at all, need to be done before a special date, not some specific
> hour or minute on that day.

Lots of things need finer resolution, though, such as
appointment calendars.

People are very used to the idea of a date and a time
of day going together and specifying a point in time.
Having separate Date and TimeOfDay classes may be a
good idea, but many people are going to be disappointed
if there isn't also a DateTime class that blends
them smoothly together somehow.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg