Mild bug: pipermail/python-dev

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 21 12:12:12 EST 2001

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at home.com> wrote in message
news:wlJU7.322334$5A3.123903839 at news1.rdc2.pa.home.com...
> This page
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/
> has a link to an archive for a message mis-dated (one hopes) February
> 2005!
>
> Seems like mild bug somewhere but I have no idea where or where to
> report.

Not at all. You will notice that the posting come from the effbot and
concerns ParadoxErrors, a feature that will not be introduced into the
language for another couple of years. So the software is simply indexing
mail correctly, albeit somewhat in advance. /F was attempting to ensure that
future functionality wasn't compromised by early access via this newsgroup.

[This is what happens when people (and bots) borrow the time machine when
Guido isn't looking. Can someone in python-dev please reprogram the effbot
to raise a TorturedTachyon exception next time it tries this? This would be
caught by the MoveForward() method of the time machine and handled
appropriately, and hopefully rather painfully for the offender.]

Since you have now brought this whole messy situation to the attention of
all c.l.py readers, you should clearly be prepared to explain your behavior.
In your shoes I'd be expecting a visit from the PS