lost interest?

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Thu Dec 13 06:18:30 EST 2001

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> graced us by uttering:
> Chris Barker <chrishbarker at attbi.com> writes:
>> A big problem I have seen is people not wanting to use exactly the
>> module they really nedd because it is "not part of the standard
>> distirubion". If it was a whole lot easier to find, get and install
>> third-party packages, perhaps this concern would go away.
>
> No, not really.  It's annoying to to have to install any 3rd party
> package no matter how easy it is, plus it's a security risk.  I try to
> avoid depending on any 3rd party modules if I possibly can.  I really
> dislike the way so many Perl applications depend on CPAN stuff.  One
> of Python's selling points is "batteries included", which means NOT
> having to depend on 3rd party modules.

Please to read following quote:

    You're quite free to convert your strings to byte arrays and
    do the entire pattern tree by hand in pure logic code if you'd
    like. By the time you finish most of the rest of us will be doing
    contract work on Mars.
        -- Zenin, comp.lang.perl.misc

CPAN is so large because there are thousands of Perlers who've
logged literally hundreds and thousands of hours working on robust,
quality modules.  To completely disregard this kind of selfless,
tireless effort and stick to "standard" modules is exactly the kind of
foolishness the above quote refers to.

The same could be said of Parnassus.

Python and Perl both have an enormous amount of functionality "out of
the box", but there are no batteries in the world that can tackle
_ANY_ kind of task.

Tim Hammerquist
--
: Why Bible quotes exclusively?  What happened to the Eastern religions?

I'm still working on the Unicode mods.
    -- Larry Wall in <199807021924.MAA05380 at wall.org>