A modest indentation proposal

Erann Gat gat at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 1 02:25:34 EST 2001

In article <slrna0ggia.1dh.quinn at chunder.ugcs.caltech.edu>,
quinn at chunder.ugcs.caltech.edu (Quinn Dunkan) wrote:

> If you want the OFMPM, it's basically like pindent.py.

So I wasn't actually aware of the existence of pindent.py.  Can it be
easily rolled into an emacs mode?

> If that's not enough, and you think there needs to be a fundamental change to
> the language syntax,

No, I'm not asking for a fundamental change to the language syntax.  I'm
asking for the functionality of pindent.py to be packaged up as an emacs
mode, and for the parser to warn me when there's a discrepancy between the
indentation that pindent.py would produce and what's actually in the
file.  I'm also asking that "# end for" be spelled ";".  That's all.

> Did you manage to convince the lispers that the compilers should support an
> optional ()-less infix syntax to make your boss happy?  They'd probably say
> "so write a read macro" :)

It turns out that what made the bosses unhappy about Lisp was not the
syntax but the fact that no one uses it.  And before you protest and tell
me that it's not true that no one uses Lisp, yes, I *know* it's not true.
I also know that indentation is not much of a problem in practice.

E.