REPOST: Re: Python Popularity, python at sourceforge

Jeffrey Drake jpt.d at rogers.com
Sun Dec 30 22:40:22 EST 2001

I believe your statistic draw the wrong conclusion as well.

>From what I saw you don't make any notice to what the languages are
commonly used for.

(this list maybe wrong, or a little off)
PHP is primarily a web language.
Java is primarily used for user interfaces on websites and gui.
Perl is both web language and console, but usually not gui interface.
C++ and C are completely general in their scope, however usually
	aren't used for web

Python is also quite general, save the purpose of including it in
	other programs (like inside C/C++ programs)

As said before Ruby is growing popularity, I believe it is also
general.

Lua isn't mentioned either, its purpose is almost exclusively for
	inclusion in programs

If your statistics were based on types of usage, they may mean more

Regards,
Jeffrey Drake

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: