REPOST: Re: Python Popularity: Questions and Comments

Daniel Klein danielk at aracnet.com
Fri Dec 28 21:35:51 EST 2001

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:32:49 -0600, "Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr."
<djrassoc01 at mindspring.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, just to stir the pot a little and because I believe you should be able
>to argue both sides of an issue, I would say when it comes to semi-critical
>and critical applications, there are features of Java (like strong typing)
>that at least mandate a certain level of consistency between all execution paths.

Python is as type-safe as Java, it's just that the type is not checked
until runtime whereas Java checks it at compile time. But Java
certainly cant check _everything_ at compile time so it also has to do
some measure of runtime checking. Sheesh, what a hack! All that extra
coding just to achieve about a 1% gain in checking for errors. Blech!!

Daniel Klein

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: