lost interest?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Tue Dec 11 14:52:22 EST 2001

Chris Barker <chrishbarker at attbi.com> writes:
> Isn't this only true if it's been built as a .deb?

Sure, but some Debian developer has done that for the most important
third-party modules such as Numeric, and that will be enough for most
people.  It would certainly be nice if someone would actually finish
implementing a bdist_deb target for Distutils, though, so that all
Python modules can be automatically turned into .debs.

> The same is true for rpm based systems, but let's face it, distutils
> was created for a reason. It would be very helpful if there could be ONE
> way for people to do it, on ALL platforms.

The community seems to disagree on this point.  Has Suchandra gotten
any comments on ciphon?  Will Jason Petrone get any comments on the
ports-style package manager that he just posted about?  No comments on
either have ever been posted to the catalog-sig, as far as I can see.
(I downloaded ciphon and played with it for a while, but had no
substantial comments and, since it's unlikely I'd ever use it, didn't
examine it more closely.)

--amk