avoid a blocking operation on a (named) pipe / timeout on a pipe

Marco Stagno marco.stagno at libero.it
Wed Dec 12 13:48:29 EST 2001

Hi

I'd like to build a module to manage a (named) pipe, without problems if
the operation on the pipe is blocking my program.

I already make a little module that use the "os.fork()" function to check
the time/timeout on the "open(pipename,...)", (and it seems to work!) but
I'm looking for something better. (if someone is interested in, I can post
here my "safe_pipe.py" module)

I'm searching for some info about select.select() but I'm not sure how to
use it... or I'm looking for some hints/modules to make what I want. :)

Someone can help me?!

Thank you in advance.
                                  MAS!