Quick GC question

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sun Dec 2 22:40:31 EST 2001

forgotten gentleman:
>Am I guaranteed that the optional GC will be enabled by default, or
>should I get into the habit of typing gc.enable() just in case?

As I recall, before the final 2.0 release it want from disabled
by default to enabled by default.  It should be enabled on all 2.x
released.

You can check for yourself when you do a configure.  There should
be a line like this:

checking for --with-cycle-gc... yes

It comes from this code in 'configure'

 ===============
# Check for GC support
echo $ac_n "checking for --with-cycle-gc""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:4483: checking for --with-cycle-gc" >&5
# Check whether --with-cycle-gc or --without-cycle-gc was given.
if test "${with_cycle_gc+set}" = set; then
  withval="$with_cycle_gc"
  :
fi

if test -z "$with_cycle_gc"
then with_cycle_gc="yes"
fi
if test "$with_cycle_gc" != "no"
then
    cat >> confdefs.h <<\EOF
#define WITH_CYCLE_GC 1
EOF

You can see if it isn't set on the configure command line then
it defaults to 'yes'.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com