smtplib

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Sun Dec 9 23:22:40 EST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 02:19:39 GMT, "Senthil Kumar" <prasent at home.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article <_YUQ7.24843$ER5.305743 at rwcrnsc52>:

:I compiled and installed python 2.1.1 in my linux server, I tried to send an
:e-mail using python. I wrote a script to import smptlib and send the test
:message, I get the following error
:
:--
: import smtplib
:Traceback (most recent call last):
:  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
:  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/smtplib.py", line 42, in ?
:    import socket
:  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
:    from _socket import *
:ImportError: No module named _socket
:
:I am not sure if this is bug or or I missed something during my python
:compilation.

Sounds to me like an installation error, and one I had some experience
with, also in 2.1.1. Here are my references/notes on the problem I dealt
with installing it in my local web space on a linux web server, and how
I "fixed" the problem:

http://www.aota.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8972

HTH,

--