Book "python programming patterns". anybody read this??

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gtech.com
Sun Dec 23 14:59:21 EST 2001

Actually, I doubt there is any intersection - or perhaps I should qualify
that by an intersection in the realms of code that you and only you will
ever have to look at or maintain.

I side with Roy's opinions purely because it is almost never the code author
that has to maintain the code (at least on systems I have worked on over the
last 20 years :-)). Generally the standard of maintenance programmer is just
not as good as developers (otherwise they would be developing, wouldn't
they? :-)) and so it is a well recognised tenant that I attempt to follow -
code for the lowest common denominator. Code that is difficult to read will
always be difficult to maintain - and you can end up with some real messes
by people changing code they don't understand! :-)

So if this book contains code and examples that require that kind of thought
then it might not be such a good book to buy. I am Australian, the exchange
rate is roughly 2:1, so whilst I noticed the book on the shelves of my local
bookstore the other day, I doubt that I will purchase a copy after reading
these comments :-). Shame, I was tempted to because of the sections on
patterns.......

Peter

news:tof92u86c40aja5s822kki621pkrefpidm at 4ax.com...