REPOST: Re: A new forum is up! Q: what means nntp

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 28 17:27:52 EST 2001

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn at garlic.com> wrote:

>claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird) writes:
>> RFC 765  FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL                        June     1980
>> RFC 821  SIMPLE MAIL TRANSFER PROTOCOL                 August   1982
>> RFC 854  TELNET PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION                 May      1983
>> RFC 850  Standard for Interchange of USENET Messages   June     1983
>> RFC 977  Network News Transfer Protocol                February 1986
>
>765 is the latest standard .... there is a trail of previous RFCs that
>were replaced by the latest ... going back to

    Actually I believe rfc765 and rfc959 (FTP protocol) is superceded by
rfc1123 which outlines and corrects the specifications for the ftp, telnet,
smtp, and dns protocols. In particular interest to me, rfc1123 indicates that
pasv responses in the ftp protocol don't have to have the format of
227 (h1,h2,h3,h4,p1,p2). This was something that the python ftplib assumed until
the 2.2 release and which caused problems with anonftpd.

Suchandra Thapa                       | "There are only two kinds of math .
s-thapa-11 at NOSPAMalumni.uchicago.edu  | books. Those you cannot read beyond

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu (Suchandra Thapa)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Subject: cmsg cancel <slrna2prh6.kpi.ssthapa at hepcat.telocity.com>
Control: cancel <slrna2prh6.kpi.ssthapa at hepcat.telocity.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:40:10 GMT

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.