Preserving program structure

Steven Feil sfeil at io.com
Sat Dec 22 20:43:07 EST 2001

Several years ago I came up with a song that fixes this problem.

(sing to the tune of the mexican hat dance)

I hate embeded tabs, becouse the suck so much!
I hate embeded tabs, becouse the suck so much!
I hate embeded tabs, becouse the suck so much!
(repeat)

Basicaly don't use tabs!

In article <B0eS7.4604$Pc1.688338 at news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "David
Dawkins" <david_j_dawkins at spamless.hotmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm using IDLE, and Alt-F5 tells me I have a problem with
> indentation.
>
> It seems I had (inadvertently) mixed tab and space characters. No amount
> of "tabbifying" and "untabbifying" resolved the issue, so I had to shift
> *everything* to the left-margin, and re-create the indentation with a
> consistent scheme (8 space hard tabs).
>
> While doing so, I stuffed up a lot of the program logic, because it
> wasn't always obvious which block a particular statement belonged in.
> This dismayed me intensely.
>
> How do experienced Python programmers avoid this problem? I don't see
> much code out there with comments like "# endif", etc.
>
> David
> --
> david_j_dawkins /*AT*/ hotmail.com

 Steven Feil               | Gram-pa, back at the turn of the      .~.
 Programmer/Developer      | century, why did people use an        /V\
 sfeil at io.com              | operating system, when they were not // \\