Python Vim Module - works

Brian Sturk bsturk at news.rcn.com
Mon Dec 10 22:32:38 EST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:10:13 GMT, Tim Hammerquist <tim at vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:
> Andrei Kulakov <sill at optonline.net> graced us by uttering:
>> I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's the purpose of this?
>
> Andrei Kulakov <sill at optonline.net> graced us again by uttering:
>> I just don't understand what is the
>> purpose, i.e. what would be a useful application of this module?
>>
>> I'm asking because I love vim and I used python vim module and if
>> someone finds this thing useful, I might too..

Check out my terminal buffer python script for vim.  I find it
useful.   :)

    http://www.nh.ultranet.com/~bsturk/vim.html

Having just started programming with python, I find it easier to
write scripts using it than vim's built in scripting language.

> I can't seem to say what I mean, so let the author speak for himself:
>
> In correspondence, Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org> wrote:
>> Jonathan Gardner <jgardn at alumni.washington.edu> wrote:
>> > The main idea that drove me to this insanity was getting a way to edit
>> > files with vim and also to incorporate some kind of IDE with it. For
>> > instance, Wouldn't It Be Great If (TM): You could edit Python classes
>> > outside of the script, and see your changes immediately inserted into the
>> > file? WIBGI you could connect your debugger (which cannot run inside Vim)
>> > to Vim and have it highlight lines and show error messages? WIBGI you could
>> > actually CHOOSE which editor you used for all the day-to-day stuff? This is
>> > all the first step towards it.

I'll be working on the above. At least for C and gdb. What does python
use for a debugger? The script mentioned above will have hooks put in it
for actions on the read/write ends to trigger actions in vim. Using the
new glyph code you could possibly single step code all from within vim.
I haven't tested any of this out, but I think it's possible.

>> > All that I implemented at this point is the code to allow you to send
>> > messages to a vim session. In the future, I will implement some code to get
>> > the responses. And then maybe I'll be able to build an interface to allow
>> > you to work directly with buffers, etc...
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>>
>> WIBGI is one of major driving forces of software development (as opposed
>> to a suit's request..."It would be great if you could...for me.
>> Thanks.")
>>
>> This will also allow Vim to offer the flexibility Emacs loves to claim,
>> but without the monolithic size.  Yay!  =)

And that's having the best of both worlds.

--
|--------------------------|  bsturk at nh.ultranet.com   | Java | (  _ _)/ /-." ~