vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Dec 23 14:20:12 EST 2001

Fernando Perez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The only problem I now have is that even though I fly in Xemacs, I can't
> do anything in a 'raw' emacs, I need *my* customizations :)

This is very true.  I work in a mostly vi shop, but one other guy and
myself are die-hard emacs fans.  Not only can we not edit in each other's
login sessions (because our emacs key bindings are different), we almost
can't even edit on each other's keyboards, because some of the keys are in
different places!

Every once in a while one of us will observe the other doing somethink cool
in emacs and say, "how'd you do that?".  As often as not, the answer will
be a slightly puzzled look, followed by pantomiming typing the key sequence
in mid-air :-)  I've been doing it so long, my fingers know how to do
somethings that I have to conciously have to think about to figure out what
the actual keystrokes are.

About all the vi I really know is <esc>:q!<ret>.  If I'm someplace where
there's no emacs, I survive on ed until I can get emacs up and running.