"XXX undetected error" in python_d.exe

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Dec 17 16:51:01 EST 2001

"Jason Orendorff" <jason at jorendorff.com> writes:
> Oh.  I thought Python would automatically squelch exceptions in
> destructors, so you didn't have to check after every DECREF.  (?)

Correct, DECREF doesn't return an error indicator.  But it means that
if a destructor calls something that returns an error, there's nowhere
to pass the error on -- and that's what Tim was referring to.  As he
said, don't try to think about it; there's code in place that does the
right thing for __del__.