age of new pythonistas

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Dec 20 18:44:41 EST 2001

Mark Hammond wrote:
|Guido is a few years older than me, and Tim a few years older than him :)

I've wondered that myself, from time to time.  In Guido's case, it seems
fairly easy to ballpark (maybe just from recent pictures).  His resume
at http://www.python.org/~guido/Resume.html provides some guidelines.
It says he got a Master's degree in 1982, and that he worked for 5 years
at SARA while getting it.  It is possible within the phrasing that he
took more than 5 years for the Masters, but only worked at SARA for five
of them.  Still, that puts the start probably around 1977.  Guessing the
MA came right after a college degree, he was probably around 23 in 1977.

Tim Peters is much harder to pin down, of course.  I once saw a picture
on the Python website that was rumored to be Tim (sitting on the
shoulder of some gray haired guy :-)).  But who knows whether that's
accurate.  It doesn't seem to be around now.

Older-than-I-used-to-be-ly yours, Lulu...