Some stupid questions

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Tue Dec 11 12:37:50 EST 2001

Le 11/12/01 à 17:04, Another rookie écrivit:

> Hi I'm an old fart and a newbie. So I hope you'll bear with me and answer a
> few basic questions for me. Feel free as patronizing as you want.
>
> I've just downloaded the latest version of Python 2.2, and have started
> learning to program from the web tutorials. If I stick with it ......

I hope you'll enjoy it :)

> ... Will I be able to compile my progs as executables, so that they can run
> on anybodies machine, whether or not they have a version of Python
> installed?

Yes, in principle, that's possible and easy. It can get tricky once you
want to use some very useful third-party modules like win32com or
wxPython.

I'll just assume your target platform is Windows. py2exe and Gordon
McMillan's installer are two tools that can create standalone
executables for Windows that include the Python interpreter, all the
used modules and your Python scripts.

> ... If not, does jpython or jython allow me to compile my progs as java
> apps, so that they will run on any machine with java?

That's another possibility, you can use jythonc to "freeze" Python
scripts, similar to the above mentioned tools for CPython. Then, you
could create an executable jar file from the compiled classes and
jython.jar.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id 86AB43C0