pypasax (was Deprecate tabs for indenting)

Alexandre Fayolle alf at sagittarius.logilab.fr
Tue Dec 11 12:57:17 EST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:08:06 -0000, Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) <tony at lsl.co.uk> wrote:

>2. Wonder if he'd been using pypasax_
>   (one of my favourite "it's so silly it must
>   be useful" projects).

Well, as the author of pypasax, I can answer this one. He's not been using
it to produce the sample. It's not the same mapping, and his description
goes much deeper in the python tree. Pypasax merely lists classes, methods and
docstrings.

Now, I didn't code pypasax just for bragging around. The goal is to be able to
easily generate an XML document from a set of python modules. Right now, we
use it for checking the UML diagrams of the Narval project (1), and we are
planning to work on the production of XMI files to ease reverse engineering of
python code (still have to finish reading the XMI spec, though ;o)

You may be interested to know that I just published a new release (2) enabling
pypasax to work with python > 1.5.2.

Having SAX-ish parsers for several kinds of files is a useful thing IMO. There
are great tools for dealing with XML files (pyxml (3), 4Suite (4)), and this
is a great way of using XML as a pivot format for conversion for example. For
another SAX parser parsing something else that XML files, you can check
vcalsax (5) which handles VCal files (as used by korganiser and many other PIMs)

Cheers,

(1) http://www.logilab.org/narval/
(2) http://www.logilab.org/pypasax/
(3) http://pyxml.sf.net/
(4) http://www.4Suite.org/
(5) http://www.logilab.org/vcalsax/

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).