Search the difference: Why this function defenition does'nt work?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sun Dec 23 13:43:46 EST 2001

In article <3C261778.60108 at student.kun.nl>,
husam  <h.jehadalwan at student.kun.nl> wrote:
>Aahz Maruch wrote:
>> In article <3C260A92.5030907 at student.kun.nl>,
>> husam  <h.jehadalwan at student.kun.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm not trying to add string to a list of integeres. What I wanted to do
>>>is to add each argument of func2('a','b','c') to sum=['e']. Since sum is
>>>a list of chars, and the arguments are accessable as a sequence, one
>>>would expect that the addition operation would be correct. On the
>>>interactive shell, it is a trivial operation. But, only when i use it in
>>>the function defenition i get problems. Adding 'a' to ['b'] does not
>>>work, but adding list('a') to ['b'] it does, so, i thought that this
>>>might help my code, but converting the args to a list did not helpe
>>>either . I really didn't get yet!
>>
>> use list.append()
>
>I know that this works, but it does not help my understanding!

What don't you understand?  The '+' operation in Python applies to types
that are more-or-less equivalent.  You can't do this, either:

>>> t='a',
>>> t
('a',)
>>> l
['b']
>>> l+t
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: can only concatenate list (not "tuple") to list

The '+' operation for lists is equivalent to list.extend().

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

Tenth Virtual Anniversary: 8 days and counting