Editing a Path

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 4 01:43:48 EST 2001

Michael Kelly || Mon 03 Dec 2001 12:32:39p:

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:58:41 -0800, Ben Ocean <zope at thewebsons.com>
> wrote:
>
>>This may be slightly OT, but I need to edit my path /usr/bin/python such
>>that it renders python2.1 instead of python1.5.2
>>I built python2.1 from source on an RH71 box. How do I update the path?
>>TIA,
>>BenO
>>
> Use the ln command to change the soft link.
> man ln
>
> from the /usr/bin directory do
> ls -l python
> if you get something like:
> python -> python1.5.2
> then it's a soft link pointing to that directory.
> Just use ln to point it to python2.1

And IF it is a link and displayed like that, you can do this to change it

rm /usr/bin/python
ln -s /path/to/the/one/you/want/python(ver.si.on?)   /bin/python

If it isn't, well, maybe you could:

mv /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python152

Or something similar so that you keep it and can still use it if you
need...
--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: <nothing>