Replacing Python 2.1 with 2.2 in Cygwin

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Thu Dec 27 22:10:48 EST 2001

Richard,

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:48:07AM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I have Cygwin running on my Windows 2000 computer.  I have Python 2.1
> installed, and would like to replace it with Python 2.2.  I had
> assumed (wrongly, I guess) that when I installed 2.2 it would
> automatically overwrite 2.1, but that wasn't the case.
>
> How do I accomplish this, anyway?

You have three options:

1. Wait for me to update Cygwin Python to 2.2 in the standard Cygwin
distribution.  I will not commit to a date, but you should not have to
wait unreasonably long.
2. Just do a make install and set your PATH so that /usr/local/bin is
before /usr/bin.  Note I am assuming that you configured with
--prefix=/usr/local (which is the default).
3. make install into a temporary directory, make a compressed tarball
from the temporary install, point Cygwin's setup.exe at it, and then do
an install from local directory.

Jason