request, info from pydoc

Brian P Templeton bpt at tunes.org
Sat Dec 8 11:13:09 EST 2001

Syver Enstad <syver-en+usenet at online.no> writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> writes:
>
>> Haven't heard of any.  Would be cool, though (hint, hint :).
>
> Yeah, I agree, I looked briefly at the classes that implement pydoc,
> and they already have a hierarchy for generating to different forms of
> output. One for text and one for html, so it should definetively be
> doable, let's say another subclass for texinfo. That has to be
> compiled/processed in some way to make info files?
>
> The problem is that I don't know the first thing about texinfo and all
> that stuff so I'll have to check out that first, but it sounds a bit
> daunting with makeinfo and tex. I'd like to do some work on it but
> I'll probably stop because there seems to be too many issues at the
> time being. There is a version for java that I thought I could check
> out to see how they've done it, but then I'll have learn and setup a
> java environment before I can make use of it <sigh>

Texinfo is not nearly as difficult to learn as plain TeX, and once you
implement Texinfo support, you get both Info and TeX (thus also
PostScript, DVI, and (yuck) PDF support) output.

See the Texinfo manual (`C-h i m texinfo RET'), which has some
examples.

>> Cheers,
>> M.
>
> --
>
> Vennlig hilsen
>
> Syver Enstad

hth,
--
BPT <bpt at tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail