Cygwin socket library status enquiry

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Mon Dec 17 22:45:46 EST 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in
<lIuT7.15549$PA.2590 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>:

>Can anyone say fairly definitively whether there are known socket
>communication problems in cygwin with Python 2.1.1-2 (the latest version
>ported by Jason Tishler).
>
>My asynchat-based web server runs fine under the native Windows 2.0
>port. When I run it under cygwin it seems to go OK for a few
>interactions, but then seems to hang. The output from netstat -an seems
>to me to be more than a little confusing: client-side sockets (created
>to connect to the server by Internet Explorer) are shown as in a
>LISTENING state.
>
>If the same thing happened with the native Windows implementation I
>would be looking at my code, but I'm wondering whether it's a cygwin
>problem. Google seems to indicate that there were socket problems with
>cygwin a good while ago, but I don't see recent problem descriptions.
>
>Can anyone tell me what's going on? The netstat output is attached.
>
>regards
> Steve
>
>Active Connections

[snip results]
>--
>

>--
>http://www.holdenweb.com/

Steve,

I believe that there are still some socket problems with Cygwin, although
most have been addressed by recent versions of the DLL. In particular there
were problems with Win98 that have now been resolved on my installation. I
don't think everything is solved with the current port of Python though. By
searching the Cygwin mailing list for 'python' and 'socket';

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=builtin-
long&sort=time&config=htdig&restrict=%2Fml%2Fcygwin%2F&exclude=&words=pytho
n+socket

(excuse wrapping of URL) it looks like Jason is still ironing out socket
problems and has been working on them as recently as a couple of days ago;

I don't know if these are the same problems as you are encountering but
HTH.

Regards,
Andy
--