Raw sockets

Steven Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Wed Dec 19 19:35:13 EST 2001

On 13 Dec 2001, Ben Ainsworth wrote:

> Is there a good intro to using raw sockets with python on the web? I
> want to try writing a variant of traceroute using tcp instead of icmp.

[1] If you're going to use tcp, then why do you need raw sockets?

[2] Since traceroute relies on the icmp messages returned when the
   TTL goes to zero, I'm not sure how you could write a traceroute
   without icmp.

[3] Raw sockets using Python are pretty much the same as raw sockets
  using C or any other language -- you need to manually wrap your
  data up in the headers that the tcp/ip layers normally wrap for
  you (including checksums). I think there's a 'ping' in python
  floating around that uses raw sockets to make icmp packets.
  You might search the archives.

[4] Other than that, it was a good question!

-- Steve