Python as RedHat/SysV service

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Dec 19 11:09:12 EST 2001

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:04:41 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> I will try to make a general purpose Python based init.d module - any
> recommendations are welcome (especially if it has already been done).
>
> I will call the python module with service interface functions
> 'service.py'.

AIX has its own "System Resource Controller" for services, and Windows NT
has NT services.  The Python service module should provide a unified API
to these system service frameworks.  I am familiar with AIX, and SysV
init.d is fairly simple, so I can handle those two.  Does anyone know
what is required for an NT service?  I'll leave the implementation to
someone else (since you'd have to pay us a lot to allow an NT box in the
door), but I would like to have the Python framework accomodate the NT
environment.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>