Python CPAN beta test

MikeK mkent at atlantic.net
Sat Dec 15 16:25:28 EST 2001

ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu (Suchandra Thapa) wrote in message news:<slrna1ijt1.heb.ssthapa at hepcat.telocity.com>...
> I've gotten ciphon to the point where I tihnk it's ready for beta
> testing ...

I've been looking forward to something like this for some time, and of
course, I was quick to download it and try it out.

First, I had to get and install GNU readline, and Expat, but that was
no real problem.

Then, I told ciphon (or is it siphon? It's called both in various
places) to use RPMs.  That was a mistake.  Not one package installed.
But when I tried again, telling it NOT to use RPMs, everything was
smooth sailing.

Here's the tail end of an attempt to install egenix-mx-base using
RPMs, where the error occurs.  If you need more info, email me:

moving build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm/SRPMS/egenix-mx-base-2.0.2-1.src.rpm
-> dist
moving build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm/RPMS/i686/egenix-mx-base-2.0.2-1.i686.rpm
-> dist
error: cannot open file egenix-mx-base.rpm: No such file or directory
Error installing package: Installing package
Giving up...
siphon>

Keep up the good work.

Michael Kent