use of hasattr(), getattr(), __dict__, was re: Python evangelists unite!

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 1 15:14:43 EST 2001

adina_levin at mindspring.com wrote:

> What do people think is good-form use of hasattr(), getattr(), and __dict__,
> as opposed to bad magic or suboptimal style?

I think there's nothing wrong with using hasattr, getattr or
setattr... __dict__ is a bit more tricky, but it still seems to
be an acceptable solution in some cases, like, for example,
preventing recursive calls in a __setattr__ method. Then again,
if, in a given situation, you can think of a solution that does
not require tinkering with attributes, it's probably better...

There. Was that vague or what? ;-)

--Hans