Deprecate tabs for indenting (was Re: Indenting with tabs vs spaces)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Mon Dec 3 15:10:20 EST 2001

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:34:25 GMT, Erik de Castro Lopo <nospam at mega-nerd.com>
wrote:
> YOu people are ***NUTS***.

    Yes, we're nuts because we've had to deal with people like you.

> How hard is it to find an editor that treats tabs correctly and allows
> the tab width to be set to something other than 8?

    Quite easy, which is the problem.  Or are you ignoring my rather basic but
not uncommon example of code which gets messed up when people are able to
modify indention levels.  For me it is *NOT* a matter of preference and never
was.  I can read indention levels of 2, 4, 6 and 8 (though I rarely encounter
6) in Turbo Pascal, C, Perl, Python and HTML.  In fact in most I *prefer* two.
But when formatting matters for clarity of code I am damned glad I can see
what the original author intended and not what I preferred!

> Get a grip people.

    We have a grip, tighten yours.

    To email: Don't despair!   |  -- Lenny Nero, Strange Days