State of the SysAd art (was: vi or emacs for editing Python on Linux?)

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon Dec 24 19:05:20 EST 2001

"Steve Lamb" <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote in message
news:slrna2fg14.bgv.grey at teleute.dmiyu.org...
> On 24 Dec 2001 17:43:00 -0600, Cameron Laird <claird at starbase.neosoft.com>
> wrote: .
> > Does this match others' experience?  I continue to
> > run into plenty of production hosts which have barely
> > been maintained for up to four years, let alone
> > outfitted with such new-fangled decorations as a
> > properly-installed ssh.
>
>      Then how are you getting onto the machine?  I hope not plain old
telnet.
> Furthermore there are other options of gettimg things onto that machine
than
> scp.  That was, of course, an example to point out that one doesn't need
> edit on that machine to get work done.  I have been on a machine where ssh
was
> available but scp out of it was not.
>
> cat > sift.pl
>
>     Any other questions or can we finally put the bullshit argument to
rest?

I still support clients running xenix, sco, hpux and aix on dial-in modem
lines running getty.  Sometimes I have to go on site because they don't have
dial-in capabilities.  The argument may be bullshit for recent installs, and
yes I'd certainly prefer they all upgraded immediately.  OTOH, vi works just
fine for all those cases where one needs to edit on the machine to get work
done.

Happy Holidays!  ;-)

--

Emile van Sebille