Python 1.5.x vs Python 2.x.x

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 19 21:59:28 EST 2001

Fernando Pérez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>This is clumsy, and is why yesterday I wrote a detailed post on the issue
>hoping to hear from the redhats for a reasonable  explanation. As far as I
>can tell, their python distribution is simply broken. The problems can be
>worked around, but it's an annoyance.

    I think it's primarily to maintain compatibility.  Although redhat
may be able to change all the references to python1.5 in their scripts, it
still leaves the possibility that scripts that worked under redhat 7.0 will
break due to the compatibility issues between python 1.5 and 2.x.

Suchandra Thapa                       | "There are only two kinds of math .
s-thapa-11 at NOSPAMalumni.uchicago.edu  | books. Those you cannot read beyond